Tuesday, March 22, 2011

The "D" word

So, when I first got here, I thought it was rather curious that within the first conversation that you have with somebody, that diarrhea is likely to come up.  I was like "hmmm, in the states, it's a little peculiar to have poo talk with someone until you're close friends, and even then sometimes you don't go there."

Anyway, I realized why it comes up so much: because it happens to everyone! Ewww.  The past 48 hours have been some of the sickest of my entire life.  I have been lying on my almost death bed in the "Healing Hut" (infirmary), hoping to feel better.  Luckily, I haven't had an appetite for several days, so eating food isn't an option for me.  Although, white pasta with olive oil, salt and pepper sounds amazing. Ahh, the things that I took for granted in my past life.  Six months is sounding a bit longer now that I've had my first life-or-death sick experience.

I was literally walking around like "I want my Mom, I want my Dad" being a big, whiny, sick baby, with a fever, a headache, bug bites all over me, throwing up, and ailing from the big D.  I'm telling you, it was rough.  I looked like some crazy leper.  Not to mention my hair is wilder than ever here.  The shampoo is a little too natural and makes my hair look oily, so I've given it up and have been washing my hair with mud from the (clay) mud pit.  It's where we all go to swim and cool down.

I had gone for a fresh swim and wash on the day I came down with the plague, and something in the clay makes my hair huge, I'm talking carrot top huge, so yeah, long story short, I've been lying around looking pretty scary with some sort of weird messed-up afro for several days.

Luckily, everyone here is really nice and really cool, so all day yesterday people were stopping in to say hi and to keep me company for a while.  They're all like "Oh, we've been there, what a drag, it's just what happens when you come to India, especially Sadhana Forest" and so forth.  And of course everyone wants to discuss the big D, like what color is it, how frequent is it happening, yada yada.  I'll spare you the details (and photos), as it's likely I haven't quite broached the taboo poo subject with all of you yet at this point in our relationships.

Nonetheless, I'm feeling better now.  I'm still going to have to spend a few days lying around and healing, but at least I don't feel like I'm dying.  Whew. I'm worn out, and it's only been a week: 25 weeks to go!

2 comments:

  1. Girl, I miss you AND your poo talk! I'm so glad that you're feeling better, and that you're experiencing life (the good and the bad (and in this case, maybe the uglies)). You're doin' it too-in' it! n' poo-in' it. Hahaha. Miss your face n' stuff all the time. 25 weeks to gooooo! Get 'em girl! Loveski<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol...oh you are missed. Every time I pass your house I think of you. When I read about where you were going I thought you might have some tummy troubles...I know I would. Glad you are feeling better. If you see an elephant, give it a kiss from me. :) Jess

    ReplyDelete